Adam's Cloud: Return to the homepage
  • blog
  • shop
  • adam's stories
  • toys and games
  • about adam
  • media
decorative star
Adam's new book image

Benji's Blog!

Welcome to our blog! This is where we like to keep everyone up to date with the latest news, tips on how to have lots of fun with the kids, and share little tricks for creating more time to spend together. Come in and enjoy, we'd love to hear any of your comments as well so don't be shy!!

Wednesday 30 May 2012

Ah well, not this time.....

(This is actually a post from my old blog that I've transferred across.  It was originally written & posted on 24th November 2011)


Hi Everyone,

Well The Irish Book Awards were held last Thursday in the beautiful surroundings of the Concert Hall in the RDS, a truly inspired setting for such a wonderful event.

Everyone was extremely nervous with one author, who will remain nameless so as not to embarrass her, admitting to getting sick with nerves before she arrived! In fairness I felt a few swells myself during the day.

The atmosphere was electric with authors, agents, editors, publisher’s, booksellers and promoters all engaging in nervous chit chat anticipating the results.

After a wonderful address by President Higgins and a lifetime achievement award presented to Seamus Heaney I did wonder what I was doing there with such a literary genius and wondered if there was a different room for the kids section.

So, finally after asking everyone to vote, asking them again and then reminding them that I asked them to vote, the children’s category was up. With my heart pumping I could not speak and just wanted it to be over one way or the other and then it was read out “and the winner of the Board Gais Energy Children’s Book of the Year - Junior is……… The lonely Beast By Chris Judge” .

Funny thing, my immediate reaction was one of relief as it was all over, followed by a pinch of disappointment topped with a nice warm feeling for Chris as I had the pleasure of meeting him some weeks earlier and found him to be an extraordinarily nice chap. Well done again Chris.

With the stress and worry out of the way I finally got to enjoy a glass of wine and catch up with some “celebs” which was pretty cool. Probably not the night to get the compulsory Facebook photo op but I could not resist the opportunity to get a photo with soccer legend Ronnie Whelan who was nominated for his book. I have to say “what a guy” and made the night very special for my mum and dad who also had their photo taken with him.

The whole award ceremony was recorded by RTE as well and is being shown tonight, (Thurday 24th November), on RTE 1 at 10:45pm if you’d like a look.

Before I go I just want to thank everyone again for voting. We really got a huge response from you guys, but congratulations must go to Chris, well done. Being nominated 3 years in a row is great and don’t worry I’ll have something great to enter next year’s competition!

Bye for now.

Lots of love, Benji.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visit Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter Visit YouTube Channel Visit Google+ Page Visit LinkedIn Page