Adam's Cloud: Return to the homepage
  • blog
  • shop
  • adam's stories
  • toys and games
  • about adam
  • media
decorative star
Adam's new book image

Benji's Blog!

Welcome to our blog! This is where we like to keep everyone up to date with the latest news, tips on how to have lots of fun with the kids, and share little tricks for creating more time to spend together. Come in and enjoy, we'd love to hear any of your comments as well so don't be shy!!

Wednesday 30 May 2012

My Favourite Book

(This is actually a post from my old blog that I've transferred across.  It was originally written & posted on 30th November 2011)

I was asked by the Irish Times to write an article about my favourite children's book, here's the text of the article that appeared in last Monday's paper, enjoy!:

It’s probably fair to say that there have been more children’s books published over the years than there are children and countless more talented authors that never made it to print as they just never had that lucky break. So when considering my favourite children’s books I can only choose based on my emotional attachment to a book irrespective of its critical acclaim or disproval.

You may very well find it strange that as a children’s author, books were never a huge part of my childhood as all my fondest memories as a child were derived from a football, a best friend and an infinite imagination seasoned with 5 siblings and garnished with two wonderful parents.

When choosing an all-time favourite book the weird & wonderful wackiness of Dr Seuss’, “Cat in the Hat”, has to get first mention. It is a book of extreme mayhem, fun and total chaos and has a special place in my heart. Quite simply it oozes innocent childhood mischief and is a blueprint of what the perfect day for a child should be, at least once anyway.

I’m glad to say I have actually experienced a real life cat in the hat moment where Molly and Robbie my 3 and 5 year old rascals unleashed total mayhem upstairs in our house, however unlike Sally and Conrad my pair don’t have “Thing One” and “Thing Two” to clean up the mess and erase all signs of the preceding pandemonium. I discovered this lack of valuable assistance when I found them trying to re-attach the curtain pole and curtains back onto their bedroom wall only to be interrupted by extreme fits of the giggles.

As I love children’s books that have an element of fun, mischief and innocence I must also refer to the wonderful Mr Men books by Roger Hargreaves. I adore these books and really believe that every child should get a tickle from Mr Tickle and a smile from Mr Happy. Discovering what Mr Nosey finds by nosing around or how all the Mr Men make Mr Grumpy not so grumpy makes a wonderful favourite to add to your collection and exude oodles of feel good factor.

I know I have picked some well-known books published by the big publishers with merchandise out the door but as I said they are the ones to which I have become emotionally engaged with. If you are looking for something unique you just might consider some hidden Gems written by self-published authors like myself. Dolores Keavney a 60 year old Grandparent from Mullingar wrote, illustrated and self-published her charming books including “If I were a Bee” and is worth checking out.

Of course there will never be a book to which I am more attached than my 1st book for little Adam and hope that after reading this you take an extra 10 minutes to read to your children give them a kiss and a cuddle and tell them you love them before they sleep.

1 comment:

  1. Love this Benji especially seeing my name up there with yours and others....thanks again....

    ReplyDelete

Visit Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter Visit YouTube Channel Visit Google+ Page Visit LinkedIn Page